Re: Segmentation Fault

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wobbet(at)wobbet(dot)com, Robert Sanford <wobbet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault
Date: 2023-09-15 00:17:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Sanford <wobbet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to get a core dump but I can't seem to actually generate one.
> I then restarted the postgres server. When I look at the limits in the pid
> folder I see...
> Limit Soft Limit Hard Limit Units
> Max cpu time unlimited unlimited seconds
> Max file size unlimited unlimited bytes
> Max data size unlimited unlimited bytes
> Max stack size 8388608 unlimited bytes
> Max core file size 0 unlimited bytes

This shows that you are now allowed to set "ulimit -c unlimited",
but you have not actually done so, at least not in the session that
you're using to inspect these settings.

If you are starting the server "by hand" (from a manual shell
command), it should work to do "ulimit -c unlimited" before issuing
the command to start the server. If you are using infrastructure such
as systemd or initscripts, then you'll need to figure out how to get
it to set the ulimit in the environment of the server process.

BTW, have you tried disabling JIT to see if that stops the crashes?