Re: Add doc advice about systemd RemoveIPC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add doc advice about systemd RemoveIPC
Date: 2016-12-31 16:43:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I still think that some wording in the direction of the fact that the
> majority of all users won't actually have this problem is the right thing
> to do (regardless of our previous history in the area as pointed out by
> Craig)

+1. The use-a-system-user solution is the one that's in place on the
ground for most current PG users on affected platforms. We should explain
that one first and make clear that platform-specific packages attempt to
set it up that way for you. The RemoveIPC technique should be documented
as a fallback to be used if you can't/won't use a system userid.