Re: merge psql ef/ev sf/sv handling functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: merge psql ef/ev sf/sv handling functions
Date: 2017-09-06 21:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> Here is an attempt at merging some functions which removes 160 lines of
> code.

Pushed with minor adjustments. I thought a couple of variable names
could be better chosen, but mostly, you can't do this sort of thing:

- psql_error("The server (version %s) does not support editing function source.\n",
+ psql_error("The server (version %s) does not support editing %s.\n",
formatPGVersionNumber(pset.sversion, false,
- sverbuf, sizeof(sverbuf)));
+ sverbuf, sizeof(sverbuf)),
+ is_func ? "function source" : "view definitions");

It's too much of a pain in the rear for translators. See
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/nls-programmer.html#nls-guidelines
Usually we just use two independent messages, and that's what I did.