Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze
Date: 2024-04-08 13:43:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And maybe we need to think of a way to further mitigate this crush of
> last minute commits. e.g. In the last week, you can't have more
> feature commits, or more lines of insertions in your commits, than you
> did in the prior 3 weeks combined. I don't know. I think this mad rush
> of last-minute commits is bad for the project.

I was just about to pen an angry screed along the same lines.
The commit flux over the past couple days, and even the last
twelve hours, was flat-out ridiculous. These patches weren't
ready a week ago, and I doubt they were ready now.

The RMT should feel free to exercise their right to require
revert "early and often", or we are going to be shipping a
very buggy release.