How to insert large objects?

From: Barry Baldwin <bbaldwin(at)indyme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to insert large objects?
Date: 2000-01-17 18:00:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi All,

I'm creating a Delphi client App, that is connected to a POSTGRES
server via ODBC. This app will need to display image files (large objects).

I don't need to insert image files with the Delphi App, just display them.
Reading the ODBC FAQ I see that I need to create a type called:
lo
CREATE TYPE lo (
internallength=4, externallength=10,
input=int4in, output=int4out,
default='', passedbyvalue
);

Reading through the archives I see where some people have been able
to insert large objects "manually". What does this mean and how do I
do it. How do I insert an image file now that I have a type of lo?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated?

Thanks in advance,

Barry