Re: Allow disabling folding of unquoted identifiers to lowercase

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow disabling folding of unquoted identifiers to lowercase
Date: 2016-04-29 23:31:11
Lists: pgsql-general

John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Oh well, it's been interesting, but I don't think that we'll come to a
> resolution for the OP on this issue. I just blame both PostgreSQL and MySQL
> for this problem because the SQL standard says that the names are
> automatically UPPERCASEd unless enclosed in quotes. Not lower cased as
> PostgreSQL does it, nor unchanged as MySQL does it.

Yeah, this isn't going to happen. Years ago we looked into what it would
take to be able to flip a switch and have the standard-compliant behavior
(fold to upper not lower). It was impractical then and no doubt is far
more so now. I do not remember all the details, but there were multiple
pain points even in terms of server-side implementation, never mind all
the applications we'd break.

What the OP is asking for doesn't even have the argument "but it's
standards compliant!" going for it. So I doubt we'd accept such a patch
even if someone managed to create one.