Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Date: 2023-06-07 23:11:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2023-06-07 at 23:50 +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
> The simplest way to obtain that in v16 is to teach initdb that
> --locale=C without the --locale-provider option implies that
> --locale-provider=libc ([1])

As I replied in that subthread, that creates a worse problem: if you
only change the provider when the locale is C, then what about when the
locale is *not* C?

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
initdb -D data --locale=fr_FR.UTF-8
provider: icu
ICU locale: en-US

I believe that case is an order of magnitude worse than the other cases
you brought up in that subthread.

It also leaves the fundamental problem in place that LOCALE only
applies to the libc provider, which multiple people have agreed is not
acceptable.

Regards,
Jeff Davis