Re: Improvements in psql hooks for variables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: "Rahila Syed" <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Ashutosh Bapat" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Improvements in psql hooks for variables
Date: 2017-01-31 22:13:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

BTW ... while I've been fooling with this issue, I've gotten a bit
annoyed at the fact that "\set" prints the variables in, essentially,
creation order. That makes the list ugly and hard to find things in,
and it exposes some psql implementation details to users. I propose
the attached simple patch to keep the list in name order instead.

(This is on top of my previous patch, but it'd be pretty trivial
to modify to apply against HEAD.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
keep-psql-variable-list-sorted-by-name.patch text/x-diff 3.6 KB