Re: Server hangs on multiple connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server hangs on multiple connections
Date: 2002-09-19 21:10:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Christian <davidc(at)comtechmobile(dot)com> writes:
> The problem I'm describing is only happening when I install on the
> following platform: Yellow Dog Linux 2.3 on PowerPC (PowerMac G4
> QuickSilver, dual processor) with 1.5GB RAM.

Hmm ... I'm not sure whether anyone's tried it with a dual-processor PPC
system before. I wonder if there's some problem with the PPC spinlock
code given multiple CPUs?

Could you build with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert (if you didn't
already), repeat the 'make check' scenario, and then attach to a few of
the stuck backend processes with gdb and get stack traces from them?
That would give us a little more info to work with.

> I have run PostgreSQL since 7.1 successfully on Red Hat Linux i386 and
> Mac OS X 10.2 ppc (the very box I am currently having problems with)
> without the lockup problem.

Have you run 7.2.* on this same box under OS X? (Ie, could the problem
be specific to YDL?)