Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?

From: "Wes Vaske (wvaske)" <wvaske(at)micron(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Date: 2015-07-02 14:01:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

What about a RAID controller? Are RAID controllers even available for PCI-Express SSD drives, or do we have to stick with SATA if we need a battery-backed RAID controller? Or is software RAID sufficient for SSD drives?

Quite a few of the benefits of using a hardware RAID controller are irrelevant when using modern SSDs. The great random write performance of the drives means the cache on the controller is less useful and the drives you’re considering (Intel’s enterprise grade) will have full power protection for inflight data.

In my own testing (CentOS 7/Postgres 9.4/128GB RAM/ 8x SSDs RAID5/10/0 with mdadm vs hw controllers) I’ve found that the RAID controller is actually limiting performance compared to just using software RAID. In worst-case workloads I’m able to saturate the controller with 2 SATA drives.

Another advantage in using mdadm is that it’ll properly pass TRIM to the drive. You’ll need to test whether “discard” in your fstab will have a negative impact on performance but being able to run “fstrim” occasionally will definitely help performance in the long run.

If you want another drive to consider you should look at the Micron M500DC. Full power protection for inflight data, same NAND as Intel uses in their drives, good mixed workload performance. (I’m obviously a little biased, though ;-)

Wes Vaske | Senior Storage Solutions Engineer
Micron Technology
101 West Louis Henna Blvd, Suite 210 | Austin, TX 78728