Re: Removing useless \. at the end of copy in pgbench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removing useless \. at the end of copy in pgbench
Date: 2018-07-28 15:10:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> I agree that compatibility with protocol v2 (pg 7.4) is not an issue.
> As Tom, I would not have bothered, though, however once it is there why
> not?

As far as the patch goes --- I think that someday in the not too distant
feature we ought to rip out libpq's support for v2 protocol, which *would*
amount to a meaningful savings in code and maintenance effort. And then
we could look around for v2-related code in our clients and get rid of
that. But I'm not in favor of doing little bits of the latter before
we've done the former.

> Should the doc state that pgbench compatibility is ok from pg 8.0?

It'd definitely be a good idea to have a stated policy about what
the minimum supported server version is. psql, for instance, generally
works back to at least 7.0 (the oldest server version I've got in
captivity at the moment), but its describe.c functionality only goes
back to 7.4, as stated in the header for that file. I don't know
what a good cutoff for pgbench is, but we should figure that out
and document it.