Back-end problems with Delphi and ODBCExpress

From: Bryan Brunton <bryan(at)flesherfab(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Back-end problems with Delphi and ODBCExpress
Date: 1998-08-12 19:51:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Although I've only found one other person using Delphi, ODBCExpress, and
Postgres, I thought I'd post this just to see if some one can provide
enlightenment:

The source of the problem is setting the Active property on a Dataset
that
is linked to a grid while at the same time doing an update to that table
in a form's
show event. It appears that the active dataset and the update to the
table exert
some kind of lock on the table. I can't update or select after that.
In this locked
state, I can't view the table from MS Access or even select the records
from psql
(used from telnet to the database server) even after the Delphi app is
killed. The table
stays in this locked state for what seems to be a random amount of time,
usually
for a very long time forcing the postmaster to be restarted. I can
however view the
table properties from pgAdmin (the VB app).