Re: State of Beta 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Network Administrator <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-15 04:08:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Network Administrator <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com> writes:
> ... However it seems to me that right now that this might not be
> possible while the backend is changing between major releases.
> Perhaps once that doesn't fluxate as much it might be feasible to
> create these layer so that it is not too fat.

Yeah, that's been in the back of my mind also. Once we have tablespaces
and a couple of the other basic features we're still missing, it might
be a more reasonable proposition to freeze the on-disk representation.

At the very least we could quantize it a little more --- say, group
changes that affect user table representation into every third or fourth
release.

But until we have a production-quality "pg_upgrade" this is all moot.