Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com, michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com, sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com, thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, thom(at)linux(dot)com, memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2016-04-27 22:05:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Sorry, I have attached an empty patch. This is another one that should
> be with content.

I pushed this after whacking it around some, and cleaning up some
sort-of-related problems in the syncrep parser/lexer.

There remains a point that I'm not very happy about, which is the code
in check_synchronous_standby_names to emit a WARNING if the num_sync
setting is too large. That's a pretty bad compromise: we should either
decide that the case is legal or that it is not. If it's legal, people
who are correctly using the case will not thank us for logging a WARNING
every single time the postmaster gets a SIGHUP (and those who aren't using
it correctly will have their systems freezing up, warning or no warning).
If it's not legal, we should make it an error not a warning.

My inclination is to just rip out the warning. But I wonder whether the
desire to have one doesn't imply that the semantics are poorly chosen
and should be revisited.