Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Date: 2024-04-22 20:28:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 04:08:08PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the actual plan now is that we'll sync the in-tree copy
>> with the buildfarm's results (and then do a tree-wide pgindent)
>> every so often, probably shortly before beta every year.

> Okay. Is this just to resolve the delta between the manual updates and a
> clean autogenerated copy every once in a while?

The main reason there's a delta is that people don't manage to
maintain the in-tree copy perfectly (at least, they certainly
haven't done so for this past year). So we need to do that
to clean up every now and then.

A secondary reason is that the set of typedefs we absorb from
system include files changes over time.