Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more
Date: 2016-08-29 17:22:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8/26/16 9:26 PM, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
>> I have attached a patch which removes the < 0.9.8 compatibility code.
>> Should we also add a version check to configure? We do not have any such
>> check currently.
>
> I think that is not necessary.

I was going to change the configure test to check for a different
function that we use, that's only present in 0.9.8 and later. But the
only such functions were related to ECDH, and the use of those functions
is inside "#ifndef OPENSSL_NO_ECDH", so they're not suitable for the
autoconf test. So I gave up. If you try to build with 0.9.7, you'll get
compilation errors because of those ECDH symbols, and with 0.9.6,
probably on some other symbols.

Pushed with some small doc fixes, thanks Andreas! I'll continue
reviewing the rest of the patches.

- Heikki