Re: PATCH: make plpgsql IN args mutable (v1) [REVIEW]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Steve Prentice <prentice(at)cisco(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: make plpgsql IN args mutable (v1) [REVIEW]
Date: 2009-09-17 00:08:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 3. This patch eliminates a common plpgsql beginner error

With respect, that argument is one hundred percent false. I can think
of maybe two complaints about the behavior that we've heard in the last
ten years.

The only real argument I've heard in favor of this is that it will
simplify importing not-too-well-written Informix code. That might be
sufficient reason, but let's not invent claims about it being a common
problem.