Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on

From: "Chris Mair" <list(at)1006(dot)org>
To: <sas(at)atosc(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on
Date: 2006-03-08 11:20:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> but...
> How different from ora2pg is OraToPg ?

completely different :)

protopg (formerly known as oratopg) tries to implemente a parser that
on the fly translates SQL and PL dialects from Oracle's variant to
the standard and/or PG variant. It's in an proof-of-concept/alpha stage.
It hopefully will appear on pgfoundry soon.

ora2pg is (as far as I know, but it's a long time since I used it) a Perl
tool that can read data from oracle DBs and store into PG DBs.
Think of an export/import tool. It's considered stable. It's part of
PostgreSQL's contrib package.

Bye, Chris.

PS: Oracle is a TM etc...