Re: multiline CSV fields

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multiline CSV fields
Date: 2004-11-29 07:34:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian said:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> > OK, what solutions do we have for this? Not being able to load
>> > dumped data is a serious bug.
>>
>> Which we do not have, because pg_dump doesn't use CSV. I do not think
>> this is a must-fix, especially not if the proposed fix introduces
>> inconsistencies elsewhere.
>
> Sure, pg_dump doesn't use it but COPY should be able to load anything
> it output.
>
> Can this be fixed if we ignore the problem with reporting errors?

When I looked at it I could not see any simple fix that was not worse than
the symptom. If the asymmetry offends you, then we could do as Tom suggested
and rip out the multiline processing completely for now. Personally I would
regard that as a pity, as it would disallow many cases that will work quite
happily as we are, and because this is a feature that was requested when we
did this work. The limitation has been documented - my incliniation would be
to revisit this during the 8.1 dev cycle.

cheers

andrew