Re: Change ereport level for QueuePartitionConstraintValidation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Change ereport level for QueuePartitionConstraintValidation
Date: 2019-07-17 18:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-Jul-15, David Rowley wrote:
>> I think the only argument against it was around lack of ability to
>> test if the constraint was used to verify no row breaks the partition
>> bound during the ATTACH PARTITION.

> Would it work to set client_min_messages to DEBUG1 for the duration of
> the test, or does that have too much unrelated noise?

It's not awful. I tried inserting "set client_min_messages = debug1"
into alter_table.sql, and got the attached diffs. Evidently we
could not keep it on throughout that test script, because of the
variable OIDs in some of the toast table names. But in the areas
where we're currently emitting INFO messages, we could have it on
and not have any other noise except some "verifying table" messages,
which actually seem like a good thing for this test.

So right at the moment my vote is to downgrade all of these to DEBUG1
and fix the test-coverage complaint by adjusting client_min_messages
as needed in the test scripts.

A potential objection is that this'd constrain people's ability to add
DEBUG1 messages in code reachable from ALTER TABLE --- but we can
cross that bridge when we come to it.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
regression.diffs text/x-diff 83.8 KB