Re: Need more reviewers!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need more reviewers!
Date: 2008-09-05 21:22:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> I suppose what happens is the original patch comes with design and
>> later a newer version is posted with just changes. The commitfest page
>> points to the latter, losing former in the archive somewhere.

> Hmm, IMO this is a flaw in the commitfest entry for that patch -- it
> should point to both.

Yeah. What I think we should do here is that the main entry for a patch
should point at the primary reference (first submission, or wherever
it's best discussed), and then any later updates of the patch should be
added as comments, instead of replacing the primary reference. It's
been done this way for quite a few patches, but evidently not every one.

Also, readers should remember to look through the whole thread in the
archives, not just the single article linked to. (Dunno if that would
have helped Martijn in this case, but there's often good material in the
rest of the thread.)