Re: BUG #6612: Functions can be called inside CHECK statements

From: Ari Entlich <atrigent(at)ccs(dot)neu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6612: Functions can be called inside CHECK statements
Date: 2012-04-25 20:25:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Wow, so I guess I'm pretty much wrong about this... Sorry for the noise guys. I failed to consider different uses for functions, obviously, and it's not possible to automatically detect usages which could cause problems.

Perhaps this is more of a bug in the documentation than anything else. I couldn't find any documentation for the behavior for what will happen if a query is executed inside a function which is called from a check statement. I also couldn't find anything about calling function inside check statements in general, but perhaps that's not necessary. I do, however, think it should definitely be documented somewhere that functions cannot be used to get around the lack of check statement subqueries, because the ordering of operations is wrong.

Thanks!

Ari