Re: 9.4 broken on alpha

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Cree <mcree(at)orcon(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date: 2015-08-26 17:34:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But I really strongly object to re-introducing alpha support. Having to
> care about data dependency barriers is a huge pita, and it complicates
> code for everyone. And we'd have to investigate a lot of code to
> actually make it work reliably. For what benefit?

I hear you, but that's only an issue for multi-CPU machines no? If we
just say "we doubt this works on multi-CPU Alphas, if it breaks you get to
keep both pieces", then we're basically at the same place we were before.

To be clear: I don't want to do the work you're speaking of, either.
But if we have people who were successfully using PG on Alphas before,
the coherency issues must not have been a problem for them. Can't we
just (continue to) ignore the issue?

> If we really were to re-introduce this we'd need an actual developer
> machine to run tests against.

I would certainly expect that we'd insist on active support from the Alpha
community; we're not going to continue to do this in an open-loop fashion.