pgAdminIII - licence and code reuse

From: "Knut P(dot) Lehre" <knutpl(at)broadpark(dot)no>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdminIII - licence and code reuse
Date: 2007-01-15 10:48:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

Thanks for the great pgAdmin tool!
I am currently working on an application using a postgresql backend. The last version of my application is based on another GUI library, but I now consider switching to wxWidgets. In pgAdminIII there are a lot of relevant code examples.
1) Have I understood it correctly that the artistic licence allows free reuse of pgAdminIII code in other executables, if the original pgAdminIII executable is enclosed? Wouldn't an acknowledgement in the "About dialog" of the program reusing code from pgAdminIII be better than enclosing the original pgAdminIII without stating that pgAdminIII code has been used in the other program? Of course, the advantage of enclosing pgAdminIII is that it will help promoting/distributing the pgAdminIII program. The latter might be one of the reasons why you have choosen that licence?
2) Would it be appropriate to hire a pgAdminIII developer to help developing my wxWidgets application, which would then be partly based on code from pgAdminIII, if the new code is not transferred back to the pgAdminIII project because the new application is part of a commercial project?

Regards,
Knut P. Lehre