Re: Introduce WAIT_EVENT_EXTENSION and WAIT_EVENT_BUFFER_PIN

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Introduce WAIT_EVENT_EXTENSION and WAIT_EVENT_BUFFER_PIN
Date: 2023-05-16 06:10:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 5/16/23 7:14 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 06:01:02PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2023-05-16 09:38:54 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 05:17:16PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:

> These are the two things refactored in the patch, explaining the what.
> The reason behind the why is to make the script in charge of
> generating all these structures and functions consistent for all the
> wait event classes, simply. Treating all the wait event classes
> together eases greatly the generation of the documentation, so that it
> is possible to enforce an ordering of the tables of each class used to
> list each wait event type attached to them.

Right, it does "fix" the ordering issue (for BufferPin and Extension)
that I've described in the patch introduction in [1]:

"
so that PG_WAIT_LWLOCK, PG_WAIT_LOCK, PG_WAIT_BUFFER_PIN and PG_WAIT_EXTENSION are not autogenerated.

This result to having the wait event part of the documentation "monitoring-stats" not ordered as compared to the "Wait Event Types" Table.
.
.
.
"

Thanks Michael for having provided this detailed explanation (my patch
introduction clearly was missing some context as Andres pointed out).

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/77a86b3a-c4a8-5f5d-69b9-d70bbf2e9b98%40gmail.com

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot