Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table
Date: 2008-03-26 10:14:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Justin wrote:

> Another option is use SQL pass through to append records from ACCESS
> table into Postgres table that is open in Access.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303968
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208861.aspx
> the command would look something like this
>
> Insert into PosgresTable (f1, f2, f3,) Select f1, f2, f3 from
AccessTable

It seems to me that SQL pass-through is kind of contrary to what the OP
needs.

A query in SQL pass-through mode will be executed as if it was typed in
psql, that's the point of this mode. So refering to an Access table
like your example query does is not going to work.

What the OP can do is attach the CSV file in Access so that it will
appear as a table and should be usable as such in an update or insert
query within Access query builder. It's quite straightforward, there's
no need for temp files or COPY.

Best regards,
--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: