Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly

From: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date: 2021-07-29 16:55:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/29/21 12:44 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:

> ... - but at present pg_upgrade simply
> doesn't care and hopes that the extension author's documentation deals
> with these possibilities in a sane manner.

pg_upgrade is not able to address this in a guaranteed, consistent
fashion. At this point there is no way to even make sure that a 3rd
party extension provides the scripts needed to upgrade from one
extension version to the next. We don't have the mechanism to upgrade
the same extension version from one server version to the next, in case
there are any modifications in place necessary.

How exactly do you envision that we, the PostgreSQL project, make sure
that extension developers provide those mechanisms in the future?

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck