Re: selecting from partitions and constraint exclusion

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Thibaut <thibaut(dot)madelaine(at)dalibo(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Yuzuko Hosoya'" <hosoya(dot)yuzuko(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: selecting from partitions and constraint exclusion
Date: 2019-04-08 04:45:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Thibaut,

On 2019/04/06 1:12, Thibaut wrote:
> Le 25/03/2019 à 01:31, Amit Langote a écrit :
>> On 2019/03/22 17:17, Amit Langote wrote:
>>> I'll add this to July fest to avoid forgetting about this.
>> I'd forgotten to do this, but done today. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Amit
>
> Hello Amit,
>
> Just a quick information that your last patch does not apply on head:
>
> $ git apply
> ~/Téléchargements/v2-0001-Fix-planner-to-load-partition-constraint-in-some-.patch
> error: patch failed: src/test/regress/expected/partition_prune.out:3637
> error: src/test/regress/expected/partition_prune.out: patch does not apply
>
> Manually applying it on top of Hosoya's last 2 patches, It corrects the
> different cases we found so far.
> I will keep on testing next week.

Thanks for the heads up.

We are discussing this and another related matter on a different thread
(titled "speeding up planning with partitions" [1]). Maybe, the problem
originally reported here will get resolved there once we reach consensus
first on what to do in the HEAD branch and what's back-patchable as a
bug-fix to the PG 11 branch.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50415da6-0258-d135-2ba4-197041b57c5b%40lab.ntt.co.jp