Re: Race condition in recovery?

From: Mikael Kjellström <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Race condition in recovery?
Date: 2021-06-13 17:05:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-06-10 01:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Got it. I have now committed the patch to all branches, after adapting
>> your changes just a little bit.
>> Thanks to you and Kyotaro-san for all the time spent on this. What a slog!
>
> conchuela failed its first encounter with this test case:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=conchuela&dt=2021-06-09%2021%3A12%3A25
>
> That machine has a certain, er, history of flakiness; so this may
> not mean anything. Still, we'd better keep an eye out to see if
> the test needs more stabilization.

Yes, the flakiness is caused by the very weird filesystem (HAMMERFS)
that has some weird garbage collection handling that sometimes fills up
the disk and then never recovers automatically.

I have tried to put in the cleanup-utility for HAMMERFS in cron to run
at a schedule but it's isn't 100% fool proof.

So I am going to upgrade to a newer version of DragonflyBSD in the near
future.

/Mikael