Bug report prelude

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug report prelude
Date: 2007-09-10 17:20:01
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi!

I've only recently subscribed to the bugs mailing list, but I've
noticed that a fairly high percentage of submissions are not actually
bug reports, but requests for help. Looking at the bug report form,
there is a request to review the bug reporting guidelines, but I
thought it might help to put a brief bit of info up front. I was
thinking of something like this:

static/'>documentation</a> to verify that what you are trying is
possible. If the documentation is not clear, please report that, too;
it is a documentation bug. If a program does something different from
what the documentation says, that is also a bug.</p>

or ask on one of the <a href="/community/lists/">mailing lists</a>
for help in tuning your applications. Failing to comply to the SQL
standard is not necessarily a bug either, unless compliance for the
specific feature is explicitly claimed.</p>

to see if your bug is already known. If you cannot decode the
information on the TODO list, report your problem so we can clarify
the TODO list.</p>

Granted, there will always be bug reports which really aren't, but
perhaps this might cut down on the number by helping those who might
be better served using information we already have available.

What do you think?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net