Re: Server crash due to SIGBUS(Bus Error) when trying to access the memory created using dsm_create().

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, amul sul <sul_amul(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server crash due to SIGBUS(Bus Error) when trying to access the memory created using dsm_create().
Date: 2017-09-26 17:49:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> See attached, which also removes the ENOSYS stuff which I believe to
> be now useless. Does this make sense? Survives make check-world and
> my simple test procedure on a 3.10.0-327.36.1.el7.x86_64 system.

Thanks. Works on my RHEL6 box too, so pushed.

This certainly explains the "could not resize ...: Success" oddity
we see in the buildfarm. It's not so clear why those critters are
failing in the first place. I hope that what is happening is that
they are getting EINTR results and failing to retry. (Although
my RHEL6 man page doesn't mention EINTR as a possible failure,
I see that's been corrected in later editions.) If not, we should
at least get a better fix on the nature of the failure with this
patch. Awaiting buildfarm results ...