Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeremy Harris <jgh(at)wizmail(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)
Date: 2019-09-07 20:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> [ patch to search for python, then python3, then python2 ]

> Committed with some documentation updates.

> I only backpatched to PG10, because before that the handling of absolute
> paths vs nonabsolute paths is a bit murky and inconsistent, so I didn't
> want to add more logic and potentially confusing documentation on top of
> that.

So this subject has just intruded itself again, because new buildfarm
member "morepork" is failing in the pre-v10 branches, because ... you
guessed it ... it has "python3" but not "python". This situation is
going to get worse, not better, as time goes on, so I think we really
should back-patch 7291733ac into all active branches.

You were concerned about the fact that b21c569ce had changed
AC_PATH_PROG to PGAC_PATH_PROGS here, but I think we can just ignore
that and make the patch be s/AC_PATH_PROG/AC_PATH_PROGS/, because
that isn't going to change the behavior of that macro w.r.t.
overriding. It was the places that had had AC_CHECK_PROGS that we
were worried about the behavior of, and this place never did have it.
Demonstration that it won't change anything is the very small delta
in the actual configure script in the attached patch for 9.6.
(I've not tested this yet for 9.5 or 9.4, but it appears to apply
cleanly in those branches.)

Thoughts?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
update-python-search-order-9.6.patch text/x-diff 2.2 KB