Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL
Date: 2019-05-15 13:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> I hope the patch is a little easier to digest as now attached.

To be blunt, I find 500K worth of changes in the regression test
outputs to be absolutely unacceptable, especially when said changes
are basically worthless from a diagnostic standpoint. There are
at least two reasons why this won't fly:

* Such a change would be a serious obstacle to back-patching
regression test cases that involve explain output.

* Some buildfarm members use nonstandard settings (notably
force_parallel_mode, but I don't think that's the only one).
We are *not* going to maintain variant output files to try to cope
with all those combinations. It'd be even more disastrous for
private forks that might have their own affected settings.

I don't know how to make progress towards the original goal
without having a regression-test disaster, but what we have
here is one.