Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-07 00:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> * Andres Freund (andres(at)anarazel(dot)de) wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what the best way to attack this is, but I think we
>> need to do something.

> I tend to agree with this, though I haven't got any great answers,
> unfortunately.

I don't want to reduce test coverage either. I think the most painless
way to improve matters would just be to work harder on running tests in
parallel. I think most devs these days do most of their work on 4- or
8-core machines, yet almost everything except the core regression tests
is depressingly serial. I think we could likely get a 2x or better
reduction in total runtime without too much work just by attacking that.