Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-02-07 15:17:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

>>> I could have sworn that was exactly what we were discussing, a pre-receive
>>> hook on gitmaster.

>> That's one idea that's been put forward, but it seems clear that some people are nervous about it.
>> Maybe a better course would be to continue improving the toolset and get more people comfortable with using it locally and then talk about integrating it upstream.

> Yeah, that sounds more reasonable to me as well.

+1. Even if we end up with such a hook, we need to walk before we
can run. The tooling of which we speak doesn't even exist today,
so it's unlikely to be bug-free, fast, and convenient to use
just two months from now. Let's have some people use whatever
is proposed for awhile locally, and see what their experience is.