Re: postgres authentication question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres authentication question
Date: 2006-11-18 18:23:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net> writes:
> I would like to change the postgres user to authenticate by md5 only,
> no ident sameuser option. I might still keep the authentication as
> local only. But when I do this, at start up I get a number of minor
> errors in my logs about the user postgres can't authenticate.

That's from pg_ctl trying to check whether the postmaster is up yet.
You could remove the -w option from "pg_ctl start", or you could
create a ~/.pgpass file for pg_ctl to use. The latter might be a
win anyway for ease of interactive use. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/libpq-pgpass.html