Re: Changing the name

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the name
Date: 2010-01-22 19:15:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:

> I think it would be a great time to change the name of the
> project back to "Postgres", and relegate "PostgreSQL" to
> an official and eternal yet discouraged alias. Why now?
>
> * We're going to version 9.0, which indicates big changes
>
> * We're going to be more visible than ever in the next year:
> ** The EU mentioned us by name
> ** Many people are looking for MySQL alternatives

wow! so now that people knows about us *is* the better time to change the name?
why? for keeping people away because they will think that we "are not
PostgreSQL but maybe some kind of strange fork called Postgres"?

while i prefer the name postgres because it's more easy to pronounce
for non native english speakers, i accept it as an official alias...
if we change the name we lose history in the mind of people that
doesn't know the project so closely to know that this thread appears
every often...

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova