Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING
Date: 2009-07-19 01:12:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Merlin Moncure<mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Jaime
> Casanova<jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
>> my questions first:
>> - what's the use case for this?
>
> Being able to use 'returning' in a subquery is probably the #1 most
> requested feature for postgresql (it's also a todo). Solving it for
> 'with' queries is a nice step in the right direction, and sidesteps
> some of the traps that result from the general case.

ah! that's why i asked: 'if we will support this, shouldn't we
supporting INSERT RETURNING inside subqueries too?'
i'm not too confident with the code but i think the problems for both
cases have to be similar so if we solve one, why not the other?

> move records from one table to another:
> with foo as (delete from bar where something returning *) insert
> insert into baz select foo.*:

seems like a corner case...

> gather defaulted values following an insert for later use:
> with foo as (insert into bar(field) select 'hello' from
> generate_series(1,n) returning *)  insert into baz select foo.*;

ok

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova