execute on log_rotation

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: execute on log_rotation
Date: 2009-07-15 02:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was thinking that could be useful to have a guc to indicate some
command to execute on rotation of logs (ok, i'm not inventing "warm
water" here, but...).
it could be useful for:
- load data from a csvlog to a table
- execute some magic to analyze logs
- archive logs (compress, move to another site, etc)
- other things i haven't thinked of

yes, we can create a cron for that but doing it at rotation time is
good because we don't need to complicate scripts to try to find if
there is some log not processed we know there is... and exactly wich
one...

if people i agree i will try this... after the commitfest, of
course... but i ask now because my memory is a lot worst every single
day...

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova