Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data
Date: 2018-03-03 17:23:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 3/3/18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> * In 0006, I'm not very pleased with the introduction of
>> "Makefile.headers".

> I wasn't happy with it either, but I couldn't get it to build
> otherwise. The sticking point was the symlinks in
> $(builddir)/src/include/catalog. $(MAKE) -C catalog doesn't handle
> that. The makefile in /src/common relies on the backend makefile to
> know what to invoke for a given header. IIRC, relpath.c includes
> pg_tablespace.h, which now requires pg_tablespace_d.h to be built.

I'm not following. AFAICS, what you put in src/common/Makefile was just

+.PHONY: generated-headers
+
+generated-headers:
+ $(MAKE) -C ../backend generated-headers

which doesn't appear to care whether backend/Makefile knows anything
about specific generated headers or not. I think all we need to do
is consider that the *_d.h files ought to be built as another consequence
of invoking the generated-headers target.

BTW, there's already a submake-generated-headers target in
Makefile.global, which you should use in preference to rolling your own.