Re: tab completion of IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tab completion of IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA
Date: 2020-08-09 16:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> It accidentally (even before this patch) completes "IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA"
> with a list of local schemas. This is probably wrong, but I find this
> convenient as I often do this in a loop-back setup where the list of
> foreign schema would be the same as the local ones. So I don't countermand
> that behavior here.

I don't see how psql could obtain a "real" list of foreign schemas
from an arbitrary FDW, even if it magically knew which server the
user would specify later in the command. So this behavior seems fine.
It has some usefulness, while not completing at all would have none.

It might be a good idea to figure out where that completion is
happening and annotate it about this point.