Re: BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: min(dot)xx(dot)zhang(at)ericsson(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages
Date: 2021-12-06 15:42:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> In the function test_config_settings() which will run during postgres
> initialization, the logic will create a new process to test what default
> parameters(such as max_connections, shared_buffers) can be set.
> However, it seems the new process so called testing process does not take
> the parameter huge_pages(in postgresql.conf.sample) into account.

The initial configuration will never have huge_pages enabled.
If you want that, it's up to you to adjust the settings
afterwards --- and that typically would also involve changing
shared_buffers. (The settings that initdb would choose are
not large enough to justify worrying about huge pages anyway.)

> In a K8s cluster environment, sometimes this will lead to the testing
> process core dump.

This claim is quite detail-free, so I don't see how we are
supposed to respond to it.