Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, "a(dot)rybakina" <a(dot)rybakina(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Date: 2024-02-02 02:02:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm going to push this if there are no objections.

One of the test cases added by this commit has not been very
stable in the buildfarm. Latest example is here:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prion&dt=2024-02-01%2021%3A28%3A04

and I've seen similar failures intermittently on other machines.

I'd suggest building this test atop a table that is more stable
than pg_class. You're just waving a red flag in front of a bull
if you expect stable statistics from that during a regression run.
Nor do I see any particular reason for pg_class to be especially
suited to the test.