Re: Inadequate executor locking of indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Inadequate executor locking of indexes
Date: 2018-11-23 16:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at 13:14, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> There are several things we might do to fix this:
>>
>> 1. Drop the "operation != CMD_DELETE" condition from the above-quoted bit
>> in ExecInitModifyTable. We might be forced into that someday anyway if
>> we want to support non-heap-style tables, since most other peoples'
>> versions of indexes do want to know about deletions.
>>
>> 2. Drop the target-table optimization from nodeIndexscan.c and friends,
>> and just always open the scan index with AccessShareLock. (BTW, it's
>> a bit inconsistent that these nodes don't release their index locks
>> at the end; ExecCloseIndices does.)
>>
>> 3. Teach nodeIndexscan.c and friends about the operation != CMD_DELETE
>> exception, so that they get the lock for themselves in that case. This
>> seems pretty ugly/fragile, but it's about the only option that won't end
>> in adding index lock-acquisition overhead in some cases. (But given the
>> planner's behavior, it's not clear to me how often that really matters.)

> Since I missed this and only discovered this was a problem when
> someone else reported it today, and since I already did my own
> analysis separately in [1], then my vote is for #2.

Thinking more about this, the problem I noted previously about two of
these solutions not working if the index scan node is not physically
underneath the ModifyTable node actually applies to all three :-(.
It's a slightly different issue for #2, namely that what we risk is
first taking AccessShareLock and then upgrading to RowExclusiveLock.
Since there are places (not many) that take ShareLock on indexes,
this would pose a deadlock risk.

Now, after more thought, I believe that it's probably impossible
to have a plan tree in which ExecRelationIsTargetRelation would
return true at an indexscan node that's not underneath the ModifyTable
node. What *is* possible is that we have such an indexscan on a
different RTE for the same table. I constructed this admittedly
artificial example in the regression database:

# explain with x1 as (select * from tenk1 t1 where unique1 = 42),
x2 as (update tenk1 t2 set two = 2 where unique2 = 11 returning *)
select * from x1,x2 where x1.ten = x2.ten;
QUERY PLAN
Nested Loop (cost=16.61..16.66 rows=1 width=488)
Join Filter: (x1.ten = x2.ten)
CTE x1
-> Index Scan using tenk1_unique1 on tenk1 t1 (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1 width=244)
Index Cond: (unique1 = 42)
CTE x2
-> Update on tenk1 t2 (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1 width=250)
-> Index Scan using tenk1_unique2 on tenk1 t2 (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1 width=250)
Index Cond: (unique2 = 11)
-> CTE Scan on x1 (cost=0.00..0.02 rows=1 width=244)
-> CTE Scan on x2 (cost=0.00..0.02 rows=1 width=244)
(11 rows)

Because the CTEs will be initialized in order, this presents a case
where the lock-upgrade hazard exists today: the x1 indexscan will
open tenk1_unique1 with AccessShareLock and then x2's ModifyTable
node will upgrade that to RowExclusiveLock. None of the proposed
fixes improve this.

I'm beginning to think that postponing target-index locking to
ExecInitModifyTable was a damfool idea and we should undo it.

> For partitioned
> table updates, there may be many result relations which can cause
> ExecRelationIsTargetRelation() to become very slow, in such a case any
> additional redundant lock would be cheap by comparison.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get rid of the need for that.