Re: Propose Beta3 for July

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Propose Beta3 for July
Date: 2010-06-28 19:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It would be better not to branch until we're certain we won't need to
>> re-wrap the beta. I'm wondering why you see a need for any daylight at
>> all between the branch date and the start of the CF.

> Well, I guess it isn't technically necessary, but I think it might
> make things less hectic. Last year we had two weeks, which was more
> than we needed, but I think a little slack time will make things go
> more smoothly.

I don't want to do it on the same day or anything like that, but I think
a couple days slack is plenty.

> BTW, if we're going to do a second pgindent run for this release, we
> probably want to do that before the branch point. Not sure if it
> should be done before or after beta3.

Yes, we must do that before branching. My preference would be to do it
before the beta --- I still feel there's a nonzero chance of pgindent
breaking things, so testing should happen on post-pgindent code.