Re: conchuela timeouts since 2021-10-09 system upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: conchuela timeouts since 2021-10-09 system upgrade
Date: 2021-11-19 14:56:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:13 PM Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
>> Looks like optimal material for a kernel bug report. Excellent discovery.

> https://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/3307

I see they're pushing back on whether this is a bug. I failed to find a
way to quickly comment on the bug report, but I suggest you quote POSIX
select(2) at them:

A descriptor shall be considered ready for reading when a call to an
input function with O_NONBLOCK clear would not block, whether or not
the function would transfer data successfully. (The function might
return data, an end-of-file indication, or an error other than one
indicating that it is blocked, and in each of these cases the
descriptor shall be considered ready for reading.)

A descriptor shall be considered ready for writing when a call to an
output function with O_NONBLOCK clear would not block, whether or not
the function would transfer data successfully.

I don't know whether it'd help to point out that the test program works
as expected on other BSDen. (I'm planning to go try it on a few more
platforms in a bit, but in any case the standards-compliance question
looks pretty open-and-shut to me.)