Re: Call from Info World

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 14:39:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Neil Conway wrote:
> Compared to PostgreSQL, I'm sure Samba is FAR better known outside of
> OSS enthusiasts. The same applies to KDE, which you also suggested
> "isn't known outside open source".

I agree. Samba is a very important project. Samba was almost
single-handedly responsible for Linux penetrating MS/Novell IT
departments for non web/email type stuff. Samba is popular in the same
type of environments that PostgreSQL will by popular in.

The webmin project is picking up steam. For people with non-unix
backgrounds (like me) it is incredibly helpful. I think we are going to
be hearing more about it in the near future.

> On the contrary, GCC, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian, Slackware,
> XFree86, Perl, Python, Ruby, The Gimp, Firebird and Enlightenment are
> the first counter-examples I can think of, but I'm sure there are
> plenty more.

The FreeBSD project strikes me as having a lot of similarities with
PostgreSQL. In fact, in the past I would have made an analogy of
postgres : freebsd :: mysql : linux (wrt development style). Recently,
though, that seems to have broken down.

Merlin