an aggregate array function

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: an aggregate array function
Date: 2003-07-28 21:21:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear hackers,

Do you think there would be any use for an aggregate which returns an
array of the aggregated (usually simple) type? Has this already been
done by anyone? I looked at the source and noticed that for each
inserted item, the array utility functions perform a deep copy of the
entire array (plus a reallocation). Normally, this is no big deal, but
if executed in the query stage, it could be kind of slow. I also
noticed that null values inside is an item on the todo list. Is anybody
currently working on this?

Merlin