Re: MySQL -vs- Firebird SQL (vs. PostgreSQL) thread

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL -vs- Firebird SQL (vs. PostgreSQL) thread
Date: 2003-06-26 12:25:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Ian Barwick wrote:

if anyone's interested:
http://forums.devshed.com/t62269/s.html

Apologies if it has been posted before.
--------------

Firebird is a decent database, in the same league as postgres. I still
prefer postgres for a couple of reasons. My information in
firebird/Interbase may be a little outdated but Firebird has a 64k row
limit. This is the killer for me: no large blobs! I think it also a
bit slower than postgres but I have no evidence to back that up just my
experiences from IB 5 back in the day. Right now, at least, it is
easier to set up and run under windows and that's worth a few points.

What keeps me coming back to postgres is not feature 'x' or feature 'y'
but the spirit and capability of its creators.

Merlin