Re: allow online change primary_conninfo

From: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow online change primary_conninfo
Date: 2019-02-17 21:06:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

> For one, it's not ok to just let the startup process think that the
> walreceiver failed - that'll make it change source of WAL to the next
> available method. Something we definitely do not want, as
> restore_command is very commonly slower.

Ok. This was not mentioned before Michael response yesterday. restore_command is much faster compared to database restart, also switch to a different method was proposed few years ago by Simon Riggs in original change recovery.conf proposal ( https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CANP8+jLO5fmfudbB1b1iw3pTdOK1HBM=xMTaRfOa5zpDVcqzew(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com/ ). I assumed we can start with this. Sorry for your wasted time.

> That'd still switch to a different method, something we do not want...

Ok, do not want means we do not want. Will try change behavior.

regards, Sergei